Yes! A Music Quiz!
Here’s the picture:
You have been up and down serving drinks like a Vegas waitress, only without the tips. It’s debatable whether you would look better as you are – wearing a jumper with a reindeer on it from Auntie Marge – or wearing a Vegas waitress’ tights-and-little-else combination. The brussels sprouts have been simmering on the hob since late November and have turned into an eggy-mush just in time to join the mountain of dry turkey, cold carrots and false bonhomie.
The Christmas crackers have been cracked open to reveal jokes almost as old as Bruce Forsyth and have ejected gifts of joy like John Hurt’s stomach did in Alien. Your kids are arguing over a metal puzzle that already has a piece missing.
Something dreadful is on the TV. Everyone else wants to watch it. Someone digs you in the ribs and says “Cheer up! It’s Christmas!” You plan a murder in your mind to pass the time. The kids interrupt your thoughts as they see whose toy is the hardest – by hitting each other over the head with them.
What you need, you tell yourself, is something to occupy your mind. Something you can do whilst pretending to be interested in what is going on in the room. Something, in fact, like an Every Record Tells A Story Christmas Music Quiz.
(Not a Christmas Music Quiz. A Music Quiz. At Christmas. You know what I mean. Have another snowball cocktail. You know you want to).
If you write down the answers, the first letter from each answer will spell out the name of your favourite music blog. No, not that one. Oh, okay, it’ll spell out the name of one of your top hundred music blogs. Top thousand? OK – Your favourite that is spelt E-V-E-R-Y-R-E-C-O-R-D-T-E-L-L-S-A-S-T-O-R-Y.
So do have a try of The Every Record Tells A Story Christmas Quiz: Warning – the first question is the hardest. Some (but not all) answers to questions will be hidden somewhere on this site and accessible via craftily placed links…
1. First name of this rock mega-star whose cousin scored the winner in the ’59 FA Cup Final for Notts Forest vs Luton. (Boom! What a question! If you get this one, post your answer below to show everyone how clever you are!)
2. Kiss guitarist who followed Ace Frehley. Released a solo album in the eighties featuring a lead singer who used to be in Journey.
3. First name of front man who liked to jump off speakers and lighting rigs a lot. His band was subject to a documentary by Cameron Crowe on their 20th anniversary.
4. First name of person who sang lead vocals on Frosty The Snowman on Phil Spector‘s A Christmas Gift To You.
5. Band fronted by Karen O. Sang about Gold Lions and Maps, (but not Gold Lions reading Maps).
7. Band behind hit single Novocaine For The Soul.
9. First name of the person who wrote Aretha Franklin’s hit Respect.
11. Wilco Johnson played lead guitar for this Canvey Island band.
12. The title of the song Aretha Franklin sang in her cafe in the Blues Brothers movie.
13. A seldom seen band fronted by Guy Garvey
14. Album recorded by David Bowie in Berlin featuring the track Warszawa.
15. (Literally) not a heavy metal song by Nirvana…
17. Released the album Night In The Ruts in 1979. Frontman fell off stage in South Dakota in 2009 and broke his shoulder. Very squabbly sort of band.
18. Surname of singer who took to wearing a blue stripe across his face in a 2004/5 tour. His band announced their retirement in September 2011.
19. Band who released single Sparky’s Dream.
20. Band responsible for famously derided lyric: Slowly walking down the hall / Faster than a cannonball…
21. Surname of guitarist who released a biography called “Life”. Often plays his guitar with just five strings. Has dodged death a few times, including one coconut tree related incident.
22. Surname of legendary rocker who hit a career low with his Everybody’s Rockin‘ 1983 LP, then repeated the low with 1986’s Landing on Water. Has also made many great records, including 2012’s Psychedelic Pill with his slightly deranged equine band.
Enjoy! Best of luck! Answers next week on my Facebook page…
Record #132: Darlene Love – Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)